St Theresas Parish logo
 

St Josephs Pauatahanui is a part of St Theresa's Parish. It is non-denominational and used

for weddings, funerals, baptisms and Christmas Carols in December.

 

About

 

St Joseph's Church Pauatahanui is a small and very historic church. It was the first Catholic Church built in the Porirua Basin and the second church in Wellington.

Read about the History of the Memorial Glass windows here.

It is expected that those using St Joseph’s will respect the spirituality and historical significance of the church and graveyard.

St Joseph's seats about 100 people.

 

Wedding Guidelines

In keeping with current Catholic practice, the following types of weddings may be celebrated at St Joseph's

​Between a Catholic man and a Catholic woman

Between a non-Catholic man and Catholic woman

Between a Catholic man and a non-Catholic woman

Between a man and a woman of other (non-Catholic) Christian denominations

Between a man and a woman of other (non-Christian) professions

Between a man and a woman where one (or both) parties is divorced

 

Who may perform the wedding ceremony?

A Roman Catholic priest

A minister of another Christian religion

A secular marriage celebrant

Our History

 

St Joseph's Catholic Church is situated on State Highway 58 between Pauatahanui Village and Judgeford, opposite Bradey Road.

1876
Land was bought by four local farmers for £20.
1878
The church was designed by Thomas Turnbull and built by Blackie and Foster for £200 from timber milled locally by Woodman and Jones. Construction was completed in 1878 and the church was consecrated by Bishop Francis Redwood on Sunday 28 April 1878 as the Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
1890
The porch and confessional at the west end were built and lining the interior in tongue and groove boards was completed.
1895
The church was formally reopened and appears to have been called St. Joseph's from this time. The windows are unique in New Zealand made of transfer pictures on glass, faded but still visible with names of donor families from 1895.
Today
The grave yard is almost full, it has graves from 1800s to present day, and now has room for small plots for cremated ashes only. The church is small and very historic. It has a small organ and bell, electricity but no water or toilets. Everyone welcome, to see inside the church please phone the Parish Office to arrange a time and key